Australia is known globally for its agricultural industry and a big part of this is our livestock. But how big is the industry really? As of June 2022, there is 369 million hectares of land in Australia used for livestock and crop production. With 70 million sheep and lambs, and a further 22 million beef cattle across the country, we need every inch of space we can get!
But with such a large number of livestock, comes a large portion of food and water to keep our farms running. That’s where Civilmart’s range of concrete troughs come in.
Concrete troughs are a popular choice for livestock owners and farmers. They’re easy to install, last a long time, don’t require regular maintenance and they are available in a range of sizes and shapes, so you can choose the one that best suits your needs. Concrete troughs offer many advantages over other types of water sources like above ground tanks and natural bodies of water. Let’s discuss what concrete troughs they are, the different types available, how they work and how you can use them on your farm or agricultural business.
Concrete Trough Types
As the name suggests concrete troughs are a durable, versatile structure that can be used for animal feed and a water source for your livestock. Concrete troughs are available in a range of sizes and shapes to suit your farms needs.
- Feed Troughs – Standard feed troughs have been designed for open areas where livestock can move freely, providing access from both sides. These troughs are suitable for various kinds of livestock, including cattle, sheep, and goats.
- Feed Bunkers – Feed bunkers are specifically designed for cattle feeding and are constructed with sturdy concrete and mesh walls to withstand any damage caused by livestock. They can be installed along fence lines, providing easy access to the feed for your livestock. Additionally, fence posts can be attached directly to the bunkers.
- Circular Water Troughs – Circular Water Troughs come in sizes ranging from 340L to 4500L and are suitable for all types of livestock, including cattle, sheep, and horses. These troughs are designed with a rounded rim to reduce the risk of stock injuries and are constructed with sturdy and durable concrete material to ensure longevity. The thick walls of the troughs help to keep the water cool for an extended period, reducing the risk of bacterial growth.
- Rectangular Water Troughs – Rectangular Water Troughs are available in lengths of 2.5m and 5m, making them ideal for use with sheep, cattle, and horses. The robust and durable design of our troughs ensures that they can withstand the harsh Australian climate. Troughs will typically include a removable lid for float protection and a 1.3-tonne “swiftlift” lifting point for easy manoeuvrability. They also feature a rounded rim to minimize the risk of stock injuries. Additionally, we offer a rectangular water trough with an apron to assist your livestock with assessing the water source.
- Cup and Saucer – Cup and saucer style water troughs are designed to provide a constant supply of fresh water to livestock. The cup, which is located at the top of the trough, is filled with water that spills over into the saucer below. This spill-over design ensures that the water in the trough remains clean and fresh, as any debris or dirt is trapped in the saucer. This style of water trough is popular among farmers and ranchers as it provides a reliable and low maintenance source of water for their animals.
Concrete troughs for livestock feed
You can use concrete troughs to store feed for your livestock. This type of system can be a great way to give them access to clean food without having to worry about it being contaminated by bacteria or other harmful substances that could make them sick.
Concrete troughs are durable, so you don’t have to worry about them breaking if your animals start playing in the food or knocking into them accidentally. They’re also easy-to-clean and will last for years without needing major maintenance work done on them.
Concrete troughs for livestock water storage
Concrete troughs are a great solution for providing water to your livestock. They can withstand the elements, which is beneficial in dry climates, and they also last a long time. The durability of concrete troughs makes them ideal for areas where harsh weather is common. And because of the concrete design they’ll never rust either so there’s no chance of rust leaking into the water either!
The best part about concrete troughs? They’re very easy to install! With just a few steps and basic supplies, you can have an outdoor watering area ready in no time at all.
Long life span
Concrete is a durable material, so concrete troughs are a long-lasting solution. Concrete troughs also require little maintenance since they don’t rust like metal or rot like wood.
As concrete troughs don’t rust, they will never need painting or sealing either.
How to maintain you concrete trough
It’s important to check for cracks and gaps in the concrete trough. This can be done by simply walking around the trough, looking carefully at it from all angles. If you notice any cracks or gaps then there is probably a leak and you should get it repaired before it becomes worse.
Clean your troughs regularly with a mild detergent and water solution. Use a hose with spray nozzle to clean off dirt, then rinse thoroughly with fresh water until all traces of soap have been removed. Dry completely before refilling with water or feed as the cleaning products may cause harm to your livestock.
Alternative Uses for Concrete Troughs
Concrete troughs are extremely useful for their intended purpose on farms; however they can also be used for water storage in residential or commercial environments.
Some troughs have also been used as a decorative element. Concrete can be stained or painted to enhance its appearance and make it more attractive. When used as a decorative element water troughs can often be seen used as garden beds or bases for seating.
Why choose Civilmart?
Civilmart has a knowledgeable team of rural concrete product experts who can provide solutions for all your agricultural needs. Ensuring you get the right products for your next project, Civilmart is your best option. Get in touch with the team today!
Join the Civilmart family
Stay up to date with latest product releases, newest industry innovations and more!